I have entered information for seasonal workers that will be starting in May and QB is indicating that we will be owing for unemployment in the states where they live. The workers will be working and living in Alaska while they are employed here, so we only owe for Alaska unemployment. I have changed where the employee will be working in PR set up and it still shows the liabilities. How do I correct this? I'm using QB17 Desktop.
We can adjust the payroll liabilities of your employees to correct their unemployment taxes, @DoreyH.
If you've already run your payroll, the liability will still show in Payroll Center even though you've updated your employee's information. The changes that you've made will only take effects on your next payroll transaction.
However, we can still create an employee adjustment to correct their unemployment taxes. Here's how:
- Go to the Payroll Center and select the Pay Liabilities tab.
- Click Adjust Payroll liabilities.
- Select the Employee button. Then, tag the name of the employee.
- Enter the incorrect payroll item (incorrect state unemployment tax) in the first line and enter a negative amount to remove the liability.
- Add the correct payroll item (correct state unemployment tax) in the second line. Then, enter a positive amount so you can pay the tax to the correct state.
If you want a quick view of your payroll totals, including employee taxes and contributions. You can run a payroll summary report to see what you've paid out. Simply follow these steps:
- Select Reports, then Employees and Payroll.
- Click Payroll Summary.
- Adjust the date range appropriately.
Please feel free to let me know if you require any further information about correcting your payroll taxes. I'll be there to help.