I just switched from QB Desktop to QB Online. I'm doing my first sales tax return / payment. According to the directions, I am supposed to see a link to "Make Adjustment" to reflect the discount I receive for making an ontime payment with the State of Texas. When I got to the screen to record the sales tax payment, I didn't see a "Make Adjustment" link. Now I've got a payment / return that has been recorded and I can't figure out how to change the amount. I know I can do a GJ entry to fix the accounts, but is there a way to delete the return and payment and start over? Is there a reason why it isn't allowing me to make an adjustment before I finalize the payment?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi there, Jay.
If you're using the Automated Sales Tax feature, you can see Add an adjustment link after clicking the View return button of the state you want to record.
Here are the steps:
- Go to Taxes > Sales Tax.
- Select the From and To date then click Refresh.
- Click the View return button of the state you want to record.
- In the Review your sales tax window, click the + Add an adjustment link under the Department of Revenue field.
- Enter the reason for the adjustment, the account and the amount.
- Select Add and then Record payment.
Please see this sample screenshot:
To delete the tax payment recorded, here's how:
- In the Sales tax page under Paid, click the View return button where you recorded the payment
- Click date link of the payment you wish to delete under the Payment Details section.
- Click Delete located in the lower right-hand side.
- Select Delete to confirm.
I'm adding these articles for more details:
Please let me know if there's anything else you need. Take care and stay safe.
Thank you for your reply. I am guessing that after the return is complete and shown as paid, you can't adjust it? Because when I follow the directions to Add an Adjustment, there is no link to click on to "Add an Adjustment". See screenshot.
Good day, jaygar1.
You're correct! We can no longer make a sales tax adjustment after you process a payment. Though, you'll want to delete the payment so you can adjust it. Then, make a payment again.
Please check these articles for more details:
Please post again if you need anything else. Thank you!