Established Member
This widget could not be displayed.

closing out customer credit memos

I have a customer that has open invoices (they owe me) and two open credit memos (I owe them). At the end of the day, I owe the customer $309. I am cutting them a check to close their account. How do I reconcile this in Quickbooks?

Solved
QuickBooks Team

Re: closing out customer credit memos

Hi there DeanesKombucha,

I'm here to help you reconcile accounts in QuickBooks Online.

Since you owe something from your customer, you can apply a credit note, credit or refund to a customer. This depends on how you pay your customer back.

You check the article below for more information: Apply a credit note, credit or refund to a customer,

To guide you with reconciling your account, please check the outlined steps in the article below: Reconcile accounts.

Let me know if you need more help with the reconciliation and I'll be sure to get back to you.

Established Member

Thanks for your answer but I still cannot do what I want to do. I manually wrote a check to close out the account. The suggestion from QBs was to apply it to "Accounts Receivable," which I did. Then it says I need to specify a customer, but there is no drop down or customer list. By the way, I am using Quickbooks 2018 Desktop.

QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your prompt response, DeanesKombucha.

Thanks for providing us with more details about the QuickBooks product you're currently using. You can select a customer through the Customer:Job drop-down.

I've attached an article below with detailed steps (scroll-down to Option 2):

Record a credit memo or refund in QuickBooks Desktop.

I'm here anytime you need help with QuickBooks. Have a great day ahead.

Established Member

Thanks very much. I got it!

I was trying to do it through my bank register, which would allow me to put it under Accounts Receivable, but not a specific company.

By going into "Write a Check" the drop down for customers is available under Accounts Receivable. So it worked.

Thanks so much for your help!

QuickBooks Team

You're welcome.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with. :)

Intuit

Hi, @DeanesKombucha!

Welcome to the QB Community! 

I am so pleased you had your query resolved. It's awesome when you complete something! I definitely the feeling! 

I must say, I love your username :) , is this linked to anything you do? Do you own a small business?

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration