Welcome aboard to the QuickBooks Community, @steve-leyland.
You can record the VAT payment, then find a match in the Banking page for the downloaded transaction to avoid duplication.
To find a match, here's how:
- Click Banking in the left menu, then go to the Banking tab.
- Go to the For Review tab.
- Locate the VAT payment.
- Click the Find Match button.
- Then, select the possible transactions that match the payment.
- Hit Save.
For more information, please check out below articles:
- Add and match downloaded banking transactions.
- Assign, categorize, edit, and add your downloaded banking transactions.
However, if you're unable to find a match, then you can exclude the downloaded bank transaction in the banking page.
If you have any questions or additional clarifications, let me know. I’m here to help. Have a good one!