Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
QuickBooks Team

Re: Deleting chart of account items associated with online banking

Greetings, @ciapsel.

Welcome, and thank you for coming to the Community for help. I'll be guiding you on how you can delete the account lines that are associated with old online banking accounts. In QuickBooks Online, you can delete accounts that are no longer in use. Deleting accounts doesn’t erase their transactions, so your reports won’t change. However, the accounts will be listed as "Deleted". You can also restore deleted accounts any time.

If there are no transactions on the register, then you can merge the account into another instead. Because there are no transactions on the register, it won't have a negative impact on the account it's merged into. Down below, you will find steps for how to delete an account, and how to merge one account into another:

Delete an account:

• Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar.

• Under Your Company, choose Chart of Accounts.

• Find the account you wish to delete.
  • In the Action column, select the drop-down, then Delete.
  • When asked if you want to delete, select Yes.

For more information on deleting and restoring accounts, see: How to delete an account and restore it.  

Merge Accounts:

• Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar.

• Under Your Company, choose Chart of Accounts.

• Go to the account you want to keep and select Edit from the drop-down in the ACTION column.
  • Take note of the Name and Detail Type, and check if the Is sub-account option is marked. If it is marked, remember the parent account associated.
  • Select Cancel to return to the Chart of Accounts.
  • Go to the account which you don't want to use and select Edit from the drop-down in the ACTION column.
  • Change the Name and Detail Type, and mark Is sub-account as appropriate. Remember the following regarding the Is sub-account option:
    • You won't be able to merge parent accounts that have existing sub-accounts.
    • If you are merging sub-accounts, make sure they are associated with the same parent account.
    • If only one is a sub-account, make it a parent account by deselecting the Is sub-account option.
  • Select Save, then choose Yes to confirm that you want to merge the two accounts.

Also, if you'd like to see more on merging accounts, take a look at this article here: How to merge accounts, customers, and vendors.

Once completed, the account lines will no longer appear on your Chart of Accounts. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions about this information. I'll be here in the Community if you need me.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us