Community Explorer **

Can I remove the status of "Unbilled Costs" tracking to past transactions without effecting PL/Balance sheet

Hello -

When this company first began using Quickbooks (desktop), there was an  impression that turning on tracking for customer jobs would help with managing costs billed back to customers as well as general expenses to the business. As the result there are years of tracked "costs" that appear in the Unbilled Costs byJob" report.

I would like to clear them so I can use this function accurately for creating invoices that request reimbursement for the clients for expenses on project jobs we need to bill for.

Is there a faster way of doing this without messing up years of reconciliations, effecting the PL and Balance sheets OR having to by creating "dummy" invoices and zeroing them out?

8 Comments

Re: Can I remove the status of "Unbilled Costs" tracking to past transactions without effecting P...

Hello West_o,

You can start with an invoice and use the Billable Time/Cost tab to clear the unbilled costs. I'll help you with the steps so you can get you started.

1. Click Reports, Customers & Receivables, and then click Unbilled Costs by Job.
  2. Create an invoice for each Customer:Job name you want to remove.
  3. A Billable Time/Costs pop up will (or click the Add Time/Costs icon), then click OK.
  4. Click each tab to see all the unbilled entries. Then, click mark the item under the Hide column.
  5. Click OK
  6. Click the Clear button in the invoice. Then, put in the next Customer:Job name at the top.
  7. Do the same for the rest of the customers that you want to remove the unbilled.

After that, open and refresh your report again.

You can check out this article for more information: Understand reports.

I've also added this article for future reference: Tracking job costs in QuickBooks Desktop.

Get back to me if you have additional questions. I'd be happy to assist you.

unbill1.JPGunbill2.JPG

Re: Can I remove the status of "Unbilled Costs" tracking to past transactions without effecting P...

Hi Sheila -

Thanks for this. I have reviewed this exercise (the one I asked about-not your answer) over and again and the closest thing I could come up with while staying within the "expectations" of the software, was to create the invoices for each job ) there are YEARS of them) and then to zero out the invoice keeping a recorded note as to its existence. Yikes!

Your way makes a cleaner and more effective use of the software- and something I didn't realize I could do.

So - thank you in advance. I will give this a try and report back to you.

Kind regards,

West_o

Hi Again Sheila -

I am finding that most of the "Unbilled Costs" were entered on the "Expenses" Tab.

Is it possible to create an invoice for these transaction to clear them? Or can I just go through and uncheck the "Billable" option on the line item?

Thank you!

Thanks for getting back to us, @West_o

I appreciate you performing the steps provided by ShiellaGraceA above. I'm here to share answers to your follow-up questions. 

There isn't a need to create invoices for these unbilled costs, but you'll need to uncheck the Billable option on the line item under the Expenses tab. Then, remove its designated Customer:Job. You can check out the screenshot below for your reference. 

ClearUnbilledCosts.PNG

After that, these transactions will be removed on your Unbilled Costs by Job report. You can also run and customize other customer, job, and sales reports to help you easily manage and keep track of your sales and accounts receivable in the program. 

This will help you get the information you need for today, @West_o

Please know that I'm always here to help if you need anything else. Wishing you and your business continued success with QuickBooks!

Thanks Raymond -

That would be ideal if the "Billable" box was checked- even if tedious. The "BIllable" box does not even appear in many of them  but they still show up in the "Unbilled Costs By Job" report. Perhaps these are showing up as "Unbilled"  by virtue of the fact that they have a designated "Customer:Job".

I wonder -- is there a way to set a kind of "closed" date for unbilled expenses at a higher level of the software?   Most of these are from over 5 years ago. I think I read this was possible - but perhaps in QBO version. Is there a way to do this in QBDT?

Thank you. 

Thanks for providing more details about your concern, @West_o.  

Our engineers are aware that on the Unbilled Cost by Job Report items are showing even if they’re not billable. They’re currently investigating the root cause of the issue and working towards finding a permanent fix.

I want to ensure you’re in the loop about the resolution status, so I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. They have to collect personal data to add your company to the list of affected users and provide this number for easy tracking: INV-27404.

To reach them:

1. Go to the Help menu inside your company file, then scroll down to the bottom and click the Contact us link.
  2. Type in your question in the field box and choose Search.
  3. Choose on how to connect with us: Message an Agent or We’ll call you.

I appreciate your patience while this is being worked on. Please let me know if I can be of additional assistance. I’m always here ready to help.

Rasa-LilaM - instruct per your direction below - there is no "Contact Link". Is there another way to get to the right contact for this issue?

Highlighted

Re: Rasa-LilaM - instruct per your direction below - there is no "Contact Link". Is there another...

Hello there, @West_o.

Let me guide you on how to contact our support team successfully.

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message or Get a callback.

You can check out this article for your reference: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.  

Please know that you can always get back into this post if you have more questions. I'll keep an eye out on your response.