cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Created with Sketch. Need to update your account details or payment information for QuickBooks Desktop? Click here for our step-by-step guide.
Created with Sketch. Need help running payroll? Watch our video or read the guide in our Product Tutorial.

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Level 1

Employee-Paid Expenses and Reimbursements: Double-Counted

I'm trying to figure out how to stop double-counting my employee-paid expenses and the payroll reimbursement. Whenever I follow the recommended methods for employee reimbursement, I end up with the same problem. 

1) I had several employee-paid business expenses to reimburse for office supplies, capital items, etc. 

2) For each receipt, I selected the employee as the payee, designated the corporate bank account as the payment account (it's the only option available), and entered how the employee paid. 

3) I entered each expense, properly categorized it (e.g. FFE, General Office Expenses, etc), and included the taxes paid. 

4) I ran payroll for each employee, entering the amount due to each employee as the (non-taxable) amount to be paid. 

Problem: Both the total amounts for the employee-paid expenses entered, as well as the payroll item for the paid reimbursements are both taken out from my QBO banking account balance. 

How do I properly account for both items? Or, how to I properly reconcile my QBO bank account balance with the balance in QBO without losing any of the information concerning the items purchased and the payroll reimbursements? Every time I think I've come up with a solution, it doesn't work.