Thank you for all the help - unfortunately I didn't realize how little I knew to even understand the answers fully. So for those still looking for the solution, I figured I should update with what finally worked:
After trying to decipher this from forums and such, I ended up splurging for a book which helped me set this up. It was tricky even with the book (we have a somewhat custom setup), but it would've been near impossible without it as it also went into the complete process.
The book: QuickBooks for Churches (and Other Religious Organizations) by Lisa London. It was written for a previous version of QuickBooks, but it worked well enough.