Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Level 1

Reply to Message

So, it seems that Payroll Liabilities simply don't work the same, which is inexplicable.  There is no 'Pay Liabilities' option, so give up looking for it, as it simply isn't there.

I got talked through it (the guy learnt a lot from me too, as I had payroll liabilities to carry over, as I had a member of staff who received SSP just before the change, and another who had a tax rebate, so both amounts had to be carried over and he clearly had never done this before, so I ended up doing the working out!).

Here is what we did:

• Go to 'Accounting/Chart of Accounts'
  • Scroll down through the list of accounts to find those titled 'Payroll Liabilities'
  • Under each of these accounts, we saw another sub-account listed, which showed what the liability was for - e.g. 'Pension' and'HMRC'
  • The column 'Quickbooks Balance' showed me what I owed in each instance
  • I then selected '+New' from the left hand menu, followed by 'Expense'
  • I put HMRC or NEST (my pension company) as the Payee
  • I selected the account which the money was to come out of as the 'Payment Account'
  • Under 'Category' I selected the same sub-accounted which I had found above
  • I returned to the chart of accounts to check that both sub-accounts now read as zero

It was fine once I knew what to do, though what a faff by comparison to how easy it is in Desktop!

For anyone who has liabilities to carry over, as I did, we solved this by making a journal entry which transferred the amount from the Payroll Liabilities of the imported Desktop version to the current version - I forget which way the transfer was now, though I just played with it until it worked and matched what was on the Desktop version before the transfer.  Whether this was the right thing to do or not remains to be seen, though it appears to have done the right things at my end, at least.