cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Level 1

I received money as a loan from a family member as seed funding. I initially deposited it into my personal account and used a portion before opening my business account

I received money as a loan from a family member as seed funding. I initially deposited it into my personal account and used a portion before opening my business account. I then transferred the remaining balance into the business account once my business account was opened. How do I account for the funds spent while in my personal account as a business? I don't want to add my personal account into QB and I'm not sure if I can add the full amount as a deposit into my business account because it does not reflect that on the bank statement. It's already recorded as a loan from the family member but I don't know how to record the deposit of full funds.

Here's what I've done: 

• All of the funds that were used from my personal account are recorded as  "Other current liability / Loan from Shareholder"
  • I've used the "Opening Balance Equity" account to initially record the full amount loaned to me while also posting this full amount as a "Long term liability" to the person who loaned it to me.
  • I've transferred the amount already previously spent from "Opening Balance Equity" to "Other current liability / Loan from Shareholder" paying off the loan
  • I've transferred the remaining balance from "Opening Balance Equity" to the business checking account bringing the "Opening Balance Equity" to a zero balance.
Solved

Need to get in touch?

Contact us