Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Level 3

Reply to message

Thanks for replying @IamjuViel . Based on your answer, I think perhaps my initial question wasn't clear.

@IamjuViel wrote:

First, the Unbilled Costs by Job Report provides an instant feedback to you concerning expenses your business has incurred that have not yet been billed back to your customers.

But as I described, that report appears to include more than just those not-yet-billed expenses. It also includes journal entries (or at least some of them) where a Customer name has been inserted into the NAME field on a journal line. And it does that regardless of whether those lines have been marked as BILLABLE.

@IamjuViel wrote:

Many QuickBooks forms have a billable column available for you to work with – checks, enter bills, time sheets, enter credit card charges, etc.  The purpose of the billable column is to allow you to choose which expenses and/or time entries that you will be passing through to customers when you create an Invoice based on Time & Costs.

That's no doubt the case, butI don't think it applies here. As I explained, many, if not most of the transactions I'm having problems with are not checks, bills, time sheets, etc. They are accruals, reversals, etc that were directly entered as General Journal Entries

Now you go on to suggest that perhaps journaling is not the best approach here:

@IamjuViel wrote:

Also, every time you entered a specific transaction in QuickBooks Desktop, the system automatically creates a transaction journal for it. Thus, the reason why instead of recording a journal entry, we always advice you to to record the exact transaction instead.

But while that may be good advice in general, I don't see how it is applicable here since I am dealing with historical, already-entered transactions. Again, I did explain this. These transactions were entered by a prior accountant and I now have to deal with them as I find them. (That said, I'm not sure how else the accountant should have posted the required entries. They are primarily end of month adjustments in the context of a revenue recognition protocol, and as far as I can see what they have done -- other than adding Customer names to the lines of the journal entry -- is exactly what should have been done. Given that, I'm not sure what what is meant by, "instead of recording a journal entry, we always advice you to to record the exact transaction instead." In this context I'd have thought a Journal Entry *is* the exact transaction.

Now I know that the problem is solved (well, largely) by simply editing the journal entries in question and deleting what has been put in the NAME field. My question was just to ask whether that might create some problems. I've tested it in several ways and I don't think there's any problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else could offer advice on that.

--

Need to get in touch?

Contact us