Delivering excellent customer service is a great way to keep your customers loyal and ensure your small business survives and thrives. According to a recent survey, customers in Singapore expect extremely high standards of customer service with nearly two thirds refusing to complete their purchase when they experienced poor service. The same survey also reveals that customers are willing to pay around 16% more when excellent service is part of the deal. These tips help you build customer relationships and develop marketing strategies to boost retail sales.
Train all front-facing staff in customer service so you can exceed rather than meet customers’ expectations with every interaction. As a bare minimum, staff should:
- Display genuine warmth, empathy and patience allowing the customer as much time as they need to make their purchase decision.
- Communicate clearly, use positive language, and speak highly of your business and its products or services at all times
- Remain calm and use a ‘can do’ approach that seeks to find solutions to customer’s requests or complaints.
If you prefer to go above and beyond for your customers, consider:
- Empowering your staff to offer customers free samples or discounts for bulk purchases and services, such as free classes in how to set up and/or use the product
- Encouraging staff to sign up customers for your email marketing list to receive emails about upcoming sales, promotions, and discounts
- Encouraging customer feedback by inviting them to take part in surveys, product testing, and focus groups.
- Keeping a close watch on your company’s social media platforms, and responding swiftly to customers’ queries, comments, or complaints
By finding out what your customers want and anticipating their needs, you can tailor your products or services to their expectations. In return, your small business develops a strong and loyal customer base that returns repeatedly to make further purchases and speaks positively about your small business providing you with free marketing to generate more sales.