Are employees likely to abuse PTO?
In a word, no, according to the QuickBooks Time’ 2018 PTO survey
- For employees who are offered PTO, only 35 percent use all of it and leave zero days behind.
- 30 percent said that they left at least a day of PTO hours unused.
- On average, employees left five days of PTO unused last year (that’s roughly 564 million days of unused PTO).
- 40 percent of employees save their PTO to carry over into the next year.
- But 1 in 3 says they feel pressured not to take time off.
- 60 percent of employees say they’ve worked while on PTO.
“Many people and employers assume that working around the clock will lead to improved work performance, and taking vacation time can negatively impact employee performance,” says Michael. As it turns out, the opposite is true. “Overwork is a problem that actually tends to lead to decreased performance, more mistakes, and more absenteeism.”