How to add a customer | Get started tutorial
How to add a customer
Learn how to easily and efficiently manage all of your customers in one handy location.
Before you start:
Adding customers will help you keep track of all your outgoings and incomings. You can easily import a list of customers from existing spreadsheets.
- Conveniently manage all your customers in one place.
- Quickly and easily send invoices.
- Record payments.
Adding a customer for the first time
Step 1 of 2
- From the left menu, select Sales.
- Select the Customers tab.
Step 2 of 2
- Add name, telephone number and email.
- Add as much additional information as you need.
Import customers from a CSV file
Step 1 of 5
- Go to Sales. Select Customers.
Step 2 of 5
- Click on the little arrow next to New Customer and select Import Customers.
Step 3 of 5
- Click Browse, select your excel file and Open, then Next.
Step 4 of 5
- For each of the QBO fields on the screen, choose one of your excel columns. This action tells QuickBooks which columns in your excel spreadsheet get pulled into which QuickBooks field. Click Next when you have completely mapped your fields to QuickBooks.
Step 5 of 5
- The next page shows your data and where it's going into QuickBooks. Make sure you check the box on the left for all the items you want to import. When you're ready, click on Import.
Need more help?
Visit support site
Search thousands of help articles on our Support Site.Go to support
Use help button
Use the help button from any page within QuickBooks Online to search articles or connect with an expert.Sign in
Ask the community
Get help and links to useful resources from other small businesses using QuickBooks.Go to community