How to record a payment | Get started tutorial
How to record a payment
Find out how to record an invoice payment so QuickBooks knows an invoice has been paid.
Before you start:
Before recording a payment in QuickBooks you first need to create an invoice in your account.
- Helps generate and maintain accurate income and receivable reporting.
- Always know what has been paid and what is still owed to you.
Step 1 of 4
- Select the Plus icon (+) on the Toolbar, then select Receive Payment.
Step 2 of 4
- Select the name of the customer from the drop-down menu.
Step 3 of 4
- From the Outstanding Transactions section, select the transactions that you’d like for QuickBooks Online to calculate. As you select these items, the payment total will change.
Step 4 of 4
- Select your payment method.
- Enter the Reference number and Memo if applicable.
- You can either deposit the money to your current account or to the Undeposited funds account.
- Select Save and Close.
Need more help?
Visit support site
Search thousands of help articles on our Support Site.Go to support
Use help button
Use the help button from any page within QuickBooks Online to search articles or connect with an expert.Sign in
Ask the community
Get help and links to useful resources from other small businesses using QuickBooks.Go to community