Deleting a pay cheque will completely remove it from your account. Typically, you can only delete a pay cheque if it's the most recent cheque for an employee. Once a pay cheque has been deleted our system will automatically recalculate your tax liabilities.
To delete a pay cheque
Here's how to delete a pay cheque:
- Go to Employees.
- Under the Run payroll button, select Pay cheque list.
- Select the cheque to delete and click Delete.
- When prompted to confirm the action, select Yes or No.
To delete an older pay cheque (not the most recent)
To delete an older pay cheque, you will first have to delete any pay cheques for that employee that came after, in order. Delete the pay cheques working backwards from the most recent cheque until you get to the cheque you need to delete.
Recreate pay cheques
After you've deleted pay cheques, you should recreate the ones you need in pay date order from the earliest date to the present. When you recreate pay cheques, our system automatically recalculates taxes and forms.
|Note: To recreate a pay cheque you need to rerun your payroll for the previous period(s). Due to this, it is recommended that you contact us or an accountant to help with that.|
When to contact us
There are some types of pay cheques you can't delete yourself. Please contact us for help deleting/negating any of the following types of pay cheques:
- A direct deposit pay cheque after the money has been transferred. (We process pay cheques two banking days before the pay date, at 5 pm PT.) After we negate the pay cheque for you, you'll need to collect the net pay from the employee.
- An adjustment cheque (adjustment cheques are typically created automatically when a tax rate changes).
|Note: If you delete or recreate pay cheques for a period in which tax payments have been made or forms have been filed, you may have additional tax payments due or credits owed. You may need to prepare and file amended tax forms. (QuickBooks Payroll only supports amended RL-1 slips. To amend other slips, contact an accountant.)|
Now you know how to delete a pay cheque and what to be aware of when deleting one. You also know when it’s best to contact us.