This article will give you instructions on how to set up, add or enter a new employee in QuickBooks Desktop.
To add a new employee:
Open the New Employee window:
- Go to Employees and select Employee Centre
- Select New Employee.
- Go to the Personal tab and complete all the fields. The employee's name and date of birth are mandatory fields.
- Select the Address & Contact tab and complete all the fields.
- Select the Additional Info tab, and enter any information you want to store for the employee.
- Enter information need in CUSTOM FIELDS, and/or select Define Fields to add custom fields to track employee information, such as birthday or spouse's name.
Select the Payroll Info tab. Enter applicable information regarding compensation and benefits.
- In the Earnings section, select the Item Name dropdown button.
- Select or add an item, and enter the Hourly/Annual Rate.
- From Additions, Deductions and Company Contributions, select the Item Name ▼ dropdown.
- Example: benefits, retirement plans, etc.
- Select or add an item, and enter the Amount and Limit for every item selected or added.
- Select the Payroll Schedule ▼ dropdown and select or add a new schedule.
- Select the Pay Frequency ▼ dropdown and select or add a new frequency.
- Select the Class ▼ dropdown and select or add a new class.
- Select Taxes and TD1 to set up Provincial, Federal and Other taxes. Note: When you set up an employee in a new province, you're prompted to set up the provincial taxes if the information isn't entered yet.
- Select OK.
- Select Vacation Pay and setup the sick and vacation information.
- Select OK.
- Select Direct Deposit to set up direct deposit for your employees through Telpay, a 3rd party supplier who manages this service and bills you directly for it.
- Select OK.
Select the Employment Info tab.
- Select Hire Date.
- Select Release Date for terminated employees. You'll also need to select an ROE Code for terminated employees.
- Select OK to save, or Next to add another employee to the list.
Want to set up employee defaults?
You can set up employee defaults in QuickBooks Desktop for items such as Earnings, Additions, Deductions, Company Contributions, Taxes and Sick/Vacation. Each time a new employee is added, the employee default setup will appear on the employee profile.
- Go to Edit then Preferences.
- Select Payroll & Employees.
- From the Company Preferences tab, select Employee Defaults.
- Add or make changes to the Employee default profile.
- Select OK twice to save your changes.