Learn how to look up your bank when you connect it to online banking in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Self-Employed.
When you set up online banking, you connect your bank and credit card accounts to automatically download transactions. If you can't find your financial institution when you set up, don't worry.
There are a number of reasons this can happen, but there are some steps you can take to find the right one.
|Note for Square 1 bank customers: Before you can connect your bank and/or credit card accounts to QuickBooks Online, you will need a user ID and temporary password. These are not the same as your online banking sign-in credentials. If you have not been given these credentials, contact Square 1 Bank.|
Step 1: Search for your bank
If you can't find your bank when you search, check the following:
- Verify the spelling. Make sure the spelling is exactly as it appears on your bank's website.
- Use very specific names to search for your bank. If you still can't find anything, try broader names like "Citi."
- Enter your bank's URL into the search. For example, search for "hsbc.com." for HSBC.
- Search for the name of the issuing bank, meaning the bank that issued your bank card. You can find the issuing bank's name on the back of your card."Chase," "HSBC," or "Bank of America" should work, but "Visa" may be too generic.
Step 2: Try other listed versions of your bank's name
Sometimes a financial institution will have multiple bank names or they might have different types of accounts but choose to only release one website for connection to QuickBooks Online.
One solution is to try other versions of your financial institution that are listed:
- Go to the Banking menu or Transactions menu.
- Select Add account.
- Enter the name of your financial institution. When it appears, select it from the list.
- Select the link to go to your bank's website. This opens a new window.
- Make sure you can access your account through this site. See if you can view your account summary, account history, and account details without any errors.
- If you can access everything, sign out of the financial institution's website.
- Go back and continue to add the account in QuickBooks Online.
- Continue to add the account to QuickBooks Online.
Step 3: Request support for your bank
If you have tried all the options matching your bank's name and still can't connect, or if your bank doesn’t appear, request support for your bank.
In QuickBooks Online
In QuickBooks Self-Employed
- Select the profile ⚙ icon and then Bank accounts.
- Type your bank into the search box.
- Select Request support for your bank.
- Enter the bank name and URL.
- Select Request.