Learn about how to use the parent billing option on your invoices.
When you create a sub-customer, you can choose the option to “bill with parent”. This option allows you to enter charges for a parent customer and a sub-customer and have both charges appear on the same invoice.
Note: If you’re using a delayed charge, and you go to invoice and select the sub-customer name, the sub-customer billing information will be displayed. This allows you to bill the sub-customer separately if you need to.
Get both customer and sub-customer charges to appear on the same invoice
To get both parent customer and sub-customer charges to appear on the same invoice, you’ll need to create delayed charges for both customers, then add the charges to the invoice. To do this:
Create a delayed charge:
- Select + New.
- Select Delayed charge.
- Enter the charges you want for the parent customer.
- Select Save and close.
- Repeat the Create a delayed charge steps 1-4 for the sub-customer.
Select charges you want added to the invoice:
- Select + New.
- Select Invoice.
- Select the parent customer name. You'll then see a list of the charges for both the parent and sub-customer.
- In the Add to Invoice window, select Add for the charges you want added to the invoice. Then, follow the next steps to complete the process.
|Note: If you only want to bill the parent customer for the sub-customer charges, but you don't want to use the Delayed Charges feature, enter the parent customer billing information into the sub-customer information screen. This will allow you to select the sub-customer name on the invoice and then have the parent billing information display.|
Need two separate addresses for a sub-customer?
You can add a shipping address in preferences if you need to have two separate addresses for the sub-customer.
First, you'll need to turn on the shipping feature in the Sales form content section:
- Go to Settings ⚙️ and select Account and settings.
- Select Sales from the left menu to navigate to the sales settings.
- Select the Edit ✎ in the Sales form content section.
- Turn on the Shipping toggle.
- Select Save, then select Done.
After that you can add two separate addresses for the sub-customer:
- Go to Sales and select Customers.
- Select the sub-customer name.
- Select Edit.
- Enter the parent billing information in the Billing address field.
- Enter the additional address in the Shipping address field.
- Select Save.
When you create the invoice, both addresses will be displayed.
Name displayed on the invoice
The way the name shows depends on the following:
- If the Company field is filled out in the sub-customer's Customer information screen, that Company name will appear on the parent invoice above the sub-customer's charges.
- If there is no Company entered in the sub-customer's Customer information screen, the Full Name will appear on the invoice above the sub-customer's charges.
- If there is no Company name or Full Name (and just a Display name as defined), the Parent's name, a colon and the sub-customer's name will appear as a title and at the bottom of the charges.
|Note: If your sub-customers are marked, "bill with parent", then you can create a statement for the parent customer and it will show all invoices for both the parent and the sub-customer.|
Now you know how to get both customer and sub-customer charges to appear on the same invoice, and how to have two separate addresses for a sub-customer.