cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

Bank Feeds Direct Connect FAQ

What's new about my bank connections?

What’s new about QuickBooks’s connection to my financial institution?

The short answer is, it’s faster and more reliable, which means fewer sync errors and your account transactions stay up to date in QuickBooks.

The long answer is, QuickBooks now connects to select banks using OAuth (open standard for authentication) to more easy access to your financial accounts.

It means that you no longer have to give us your bank username and password after initial setup. Instead, you give permission at your Financial institution(FI) for QuickBooks to access your account. Your bank sends us a token that we use to access your account. After that, we can still securely access your account even if you change your password.

Which of my banks are moving to this new connection?

We’re working with individual banks to change the way we connect to them. This is why you’ll see only some of your banks offering this new connection, at least for now.

So far, Capital One, Chase Bank, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Citi have agreed to move toward a better connection for QuickBooks customers. As we have exact dates and timelines available for each FI, we will update here with more information. We aren't looking to stop with just these FI's so stay tuned!

What do I need to do?

If you have already linked an account, you’ll see messages in QuickBooks to update your connection when you are clicking on that account card. Follow the instructions to update. Example Below:

User-added image

If you’re linking a new account (that’s eligible for this new connection), just link it normally.

Why do I have to sign in to my bank to do this?

This new connection is an agreement between Intuit and your bank to give us your data directly. In order to do this, your FI needs your permission to allow this new connection. Your bank needs you to sign in to their site so they know it’s you. Once you give them permission, we can take care of everything after that to get your data into QuickBooks.

Can anybody that has access to the Bank website setup the new OAuth connection?

Some Banks or FI's have restrictions on who can establish this new OAuth connection. The primary user for the bank's website can always setup the connection, but sometimes delegate or secondary users can't establish the connection. For more information go here.

Is there a deadline to update my existing connection?

Depends on which bank you’re updating. Each bank gives us a window of time to migrate customers over to the new connection. Usually, this window lasts 31 days, to give our customers enough time and warning to update their connections.

Make sure to update your connections before the deadlines, or your accounts won’t be able to keep syncing in QuickBooks.

Can I update my connection from the QuickBooks Online desktop App?

While updating in the desktop app may work for a couple of the FI’s we suggest you go through the update process from a supported browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge). In most instances the desktop app will point you to a browser where we know we have to.

Why is there a deadline? Why can’t I stay on the old connection?

Once a bank moves to this new type of connection, it doesn’t make sense for them to keep two different types of connections. It’s more efficient for both the banks and their customers (you!) to switch to this newer, improved experience.

How much historical data does the new connection bring in? 

In the past, the default was always 90 days of historical transactions. With this new connection type it will vary by FI, the range will be between 30 days and 2 years. If you need more than what's available for your FI, you can learn how here.