Use Bank Accounts in QuickBooks to keep track of your Checking, Savings, and Money Market accounts. Add one bank account for every account your company has at a bank or any financial institution.
Set up a bank account
Follow these steps to setup a bank account:
- From the Lists menu, go to Chart of Accounts.
- On the Account dropdown, select New.
- On the Choose Account Type window, select Bank and Continue.
- On the Add New Account window:
- Type the Bank Name.
- Select the Enter Opening Balance button and based on your bank statement, type in your Statement Ending Balance and Statement Ending Date. More information about opening balance is available here.
- Select OK, then Save & Close.
Enter a transaction in the bank account register
In QuickBooks Desktop, a bank account register can represent a checking, savings, money market, or petty cash account.
You can enter checks and deposits directly in a bank account register instead of using the Write Checks window and the Make Deposits window to create the transactions. Working directly in a bank account register allows you to work more quickly and lets you see the entire record of the account.
To do this task:
- From the Lists menu, go to Chart of Accounts, then double-click the bank account that you want to use.
- On the blank entry at the end of the register, enter the date, check or deposit number and payee.
- Enter the amount.
- For checks and fees: Enter the amount in the Payment field.
- For deposits and interest earned: Enter the amount in the Deposit field.
- Choose the account.
- For checks: Enter the name of the account you use to track this type of expense.
- For deposits: Enter the name of the account that is the source of the funds you are depositing.
- (Optional) In the Memo field, enter a note about the transaction.
- Select Record.