EmilyCowan
Level 7

My Top 5 SUPER-LAME Excuses for NOT Taking a Break On a Gorgeous Summer Day (What Are Yours?)

getoutside.jpg

You'd think that with this beautiful boardwalk just minutes from my home office I'd have no trouble hauling myself outside every once in a while.

Annnnnd … you'd be wrong.

Here are the top five reasons why I rarely let myself go out for a stroll during my typical workday. (Spoiler alert: These might be on your list, too.)

1. I'm too busy. Are you an air traffic controller landing a jetliner? A heart surgeon? The color commentator covering the second overtime at game seven of the AFC playoffs? No? Me neither. Then we both have 15 minutes to get up outta’ that seat.

2. I just need to finish this one thing. Get real: You're self-employed, which means you will never be "finished." There is always another task to complete. Set a timer on your phone. When you hear the ding, get up and go (outside, that is).

3. The phone/email/everything won't stop ringing/pinging/dinging. Embrace the power of technology by letting the world know you are "out of office" for 15 minutes. Mark your calendar, set your phone, put an X on your whiteboard, take down the shingle outside. Whatever it takes, turn your mental frontdoor sign from "Open" to "Closed." Phone still ringing? Let it. They’ll call back. (See Excuse #1.)

4. If I take time now, I'll just be more stressed out later. The very fact that is an area of concern would indicate that you might already be a stressball. Engage in some relaxing, fresh-air inspired activity now, before you lose it completely. I promise you you'll be in a much better frame of mind to actually accomplish something.

5. It isn't very nice outside. Check the weather forecast at the beginning of each day to plan your outings accordingly. Even if the weather is total crap you can still get some fresh air. Sit next to an open window, close your eyes and breathe. No excuses!

AVENIRNEXT-Now it's your turn.jpg

Is it easy or not-so-easy for you step away from work for a moment to enjoy the sunshine? What's your go-to spot for taking a breather outside?

Want to weigh in but not yet a QB Community member? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!