tsd81
Level 3

Reports and accounting

Thank-you. However, this does not work for the case in question. Try in this circumstance:

1. A customer sends a payment that is greater than the open invoice.

2. When you enter the payment, QB will ask if you want to apply the overpayment as a credit on the Customer's account or give a refund. If you opt to apply the overpayment as a credit, QB will ask you if you want to print a credit memo, which you can print to a PDF if you know this is your only chance to do so. However, the PDF credit memo does not have a Credit Memo number, reference a PO number, or even allow you to include any information in the memo that gets printed. Even worse, the credit is NOT saved as a credit memo in the system so it DOES NOT show up when you filter by Credit Memo as you have shown above. It is stored as a "delayed credit" which is handled differently than a Credit Memo and cannot be displayed ever again as a credit memo from within QB. You can send your customer an account statement with an explanation of what happened but this is a poor solution (in my opinion). The better solution is for QB to allow you to create a Credit Memo in this situation so you can enter information about the circumstances of the overpayment and can look at and send it like a Credit Memo. In my case, the customer overpaid an invoice because the invoice originally sent had the wrong amount for an item purchased. The invoice was corrected but the customer paid the original amount so there was an overpayment. I would have liked to be able to send them a Credit Memo that explained which Invoice had been overpaid and why. It would also provide a good record within QB to explain what that credit was all about in case someone needed to try to figure it out. When it is stored at "delayed credit", you cannot see anything about it except the payment that was made at the time it was created. I figured out how to get around the problem but I am not the first user to have this problem and hope that QB developers will fix it in a future release.