Enter billable expenses
A billable expense is an expense that you incur on your customer's behalf when performing work for them, and for which you can be reimbursed by your customer.
QuickBooks Online Plus helps you record and easily track your company's billable expenses from the Bill, Expense, or Cheque window when you enter a transaction. By default, Billable Expense Income is used as the account.
Turn on Billable Expenses
Before you can start entering billable expenses, you need to set up Billable Expenses option first.
- Select the Gear (⚙️) icon on the Toolbar, then Account and Settings.
- From the left menu, select Expenses.
- In the Bills and expenses section, select the pencil icon to open the fields for editing.
- Ensure that the following items are checked:
- Show Items table on expense and purchase forms
- Track expenses and items by customer
- Make expenses and items billable
- (Optional) Set the markup rate.
- Select Save, then Done.
Enter a billable expense
- Create an expense transaction by selecting Create (⨁) then opening a Bill, Expense, or Cheque window.
- In the Account or Product/Service field, choose the expense account or product/service for the item or service you purchased for the customer.
- Enter the cost of the items in the Amount field.
If the cost is less than the total amount of the transaction, enter a separate Detail line for each amount.
- Enter a Description of the items.
Note: This description will appear on the customer's invoice.
- Select the customer to be billed for the item or expense from the Customer drop-down.
- Select the Billable checkbox.
- Enter a Markup percentage.
- If you need to charge tax for the item or service, select the tax in the drop down or check Tax.
Note: The Tax column becomes available if both the Billable and Tax features are turned on.
- Select Save and close.
The expense is recorded as billable to the customer you specified.
Add billable expenses to invoices
To reimburse the cost, link the billable expense to your customer's invoice.
- Select Create (⨁), then Invoice.
- Enter the customer name. Open billable expenses will populate the right side of the screen.
- Select Add for the billable expense you'd like to include in the invoice.
- Select Save and send.
You must This widget could not be displayed.