Offer ends in
2019-10-07 18:12:42Accounting & TaxesEnglishThis article explains in detail what is income tax return, who all need to file such a return and what are the various ITR forms that need... Business Term: What is Income Tax Return?

Small Business Term: What is Income Tax Return?

5 min read

The procedure to assess income begins with filing a return for income as per the Income Tax Act, 1961. Accordingly, as per section 139(1) of this act, every person:

  • whether a company or firm
  • any person other than a company or firm

needs to file a return of his income on or before the due date. Provided if his total income or total income of any other person in respect of which he is assessable under the Act exceeds the threshold limit of income not chargeable to tax. Furthermore, such a return should be furnished in the prescribed ITR form. The type of Income Tax Return (ITR) form to be filed depends upon:

  • amount of income earned by the taxpayer
  • category of the taxpayer i.e. individual, company or HUF
  • sources through which the taxpayer earns income

What is Income Tax Return?

Income Tax Return (ITR) is a form in which an assessee furnishes information regarding his income earned during the previous year. It also mentions the tax calculated thereupon to the income tax department. There are various types of ITR forms. These include ITR1, ITR2 ITR3, ITR4, ITR5, ITR6 and ITR7.

As per the Income Tax Act, 1961, the taxpayer needs to file returns with the income tax department on or before the specified dates.

You May Also Read
How To File Your First Income Tax Return?

Who is Required to File Income Tax Returns?

Specific Individuals

  • Government mandates individuals earning a specified amount of income to file income tax returns. These persons include:
Type of Individual/HUFTaxable Income
Individuals/ HUF below 60 yearsIncome exceeding Rs. 2,50,000
Individuals/ HUF above 60 (Senior Citizens) years but below 80 yearsIncome exceeding Rs. 3,00,000
Individuals/HUF above 80 years (Super Senior Citizens)Income exceeding Rs. 5,00,000

Firms Or Companies

Filing of income tax returns is compulsory in case you want to claim income tax refund.

Persons Who Need To Claim Tax Refund

Firms or companies irrespective for earning profits or incurring losses during the previous financial year must necessarily file an income tax return.

Persons Who Need To Carry Forward Losses

In order to carry forward losses under any head of income, it is necessary to file an income tax return.

A Resident Having Any Asset Outside India

A resident individual having an asset or financial interest in any entity located outside India must file ITR. This is not applicable to Resident but Not Ordinary Residents (RNORs)

A Resident Having Signing Authority In a Foreign Account

In cases where an individual is a resident and has a signing authority in a foreign account is also required to necessarily file ITR. This is again not applicable to Residents but Not Ordinary Residents (RNORs)

Persons Earning Income Through Following Sources

You need to necessarily file an income tax return in cases where you earn income from the following sources:

  • property held under a Trust for charitable or religious purposes
  • income derived from a political party
  • research association, news agency, educational or medical institution
  • trade union
  • a non for profit university or educational institution
  • hospital
  • infrastructure debt fund
  • any authority, body or trust

Persons Applying For Loan Or Visa

In case you are applying for a loan or visa, you must have ITRs. This is because these ITRs act as a proof of your income while applying for such a loan or visa

Persons or Individuals Filing ITR In the Previous Years

Persons or individuals filing ITR during previous years need to preferably file ITR for the current financial year as well. This is despite the fact whether such individuals are liable for income tax or not. Further, such persons need to file ITR to avoid any notice from IT department.

Persons Involved in Transactions That Come Under Annual Information Return

If you engage in any transactions that come under Annual Information Return, then you must file ITR. This is to avoid any notice from IT department as they already have information about your involvement in such transactions. Few of the transactions listed under Annual Information Return include:

  • purchase or sale of immovable property exceeding Rs. 30,00,000
  • payment made through credit card exceeding Rs. 2,00,000 during a given financial year etc.

Persons Getting TDS Deducted

In case tax is deducted from your income, then you must file ITR with the income tax department. This is to prevent any notice from the IT department as they already have information about your income

Types of Income Tax Returns (ITRs)

Form Type
Who Needs to File
ITR 1 (Sahaj)Individuals who are resident other than not ordinarily residents having income from:

  • Salaries
  • One House Property
  • Other Sources (Interest etc) and
  • Having total income upto Rs 50 Lakhs
ITR 2Individuals and HUFs not having income from profits and gains of business or profession
ITR 3Individuals and HUFs having income from profits and gains of business or profession
ITR 4 (Sugam)For Presumptive Income from business or profession
ITR 5For persons other than:

  • Individual
  • HUF
  • Company
  • Persons filing Form ITR 7
ITR 6For Companies other than companies claiming exemption under section 11
ITR 7For persons including companies required to furnish return under sections 139(4A) or 139(4B) or 139(4C) or 139(4D) or 139(4E) or 139(4F)
Information may be abridged and therefore incomplete. This document/information does not constitute, and should not be considered a substitute for, legal or financial advice. Each financial situation is different, the advice provided is intended to be general. Please contact your financial or legal advisors for information specific to your situation.

Related Articles