GST is a consumption-based tax that is collected on the value added at every stage of the supply chain. Further, such a tax system has led to the consolidation of multiple indirect taxes like VAT, Service Tax, Central Excise Duty, etc.
Such a consolidation of the consumption taxes that existed in the previous indirect tax regime has led to the rationalization of the indirect structure. In addition to the simplification of the indirect tax structure, the GST System is also intended to bring about transparency, efficiency, and speed in the implementation and administration of tax.
Now, all of this was possible due to the setting up of the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN). GSTN is the IT initiative of the GST Council that has put in place a uniform interface for the taxpayer and a common and shared IT infrastructure between the Centre and States.
The GST Common Portal developed by GSTN functions as the front-end of the overall GST IT ecosystem. At this portal, the taxpayers can register, prepare documents for payment through banks and file GST returns.
On the contrary, the IT systems of CBIC and State Tax Departments function as back-ends. These systems handle tax administration functions such as registration approval, assessment, audit, adjudication, etc.
But, despite all these efforts, the implementation of GST has been grappling with a host of issues and challenges. And in order to resolve these challenges, the GST Council has put in place Help Desks and other platforms.[/vc_column_text]
GST Helpline Phone Numbers
|Help Desk||Contact Number|
|GSTN Help Desk||0120-4888999|
|ICEGATE Help Desk||1800-3010-1000|
|Saksham Seva||1800-266-2232 or 1800-121-4560|
|GST Suvidha Providers (GSPs)||As per the Location|
|GST Seva Kendras||Multiple Phone Numbers as per the Zones. Click here for a detailed list.|
GST Helpline Portals
|Help Portal||Web Address|
|GSTN Help Desk||https://services.gst.gov.in/services/grievance|
|CBIC Self Service||https://cbic-gst.gov.in/cbec-portal-ui/?webticketing|
|ICEGATE Help Desk||https://www.icegate.gov.in/index.html|
|GST Suvidha Centers||https://gstsuvidhacenters.com/|
|GST Seva Kendra||http://www.cbic.gov.in/index|
|Grievance Redressal Portal for GST||https://selfservice.gstsystem.in/|
GST Help Via Email
|Help Portal||Email Address|
|GSTN Help Deskemail@example.com|
|ICEGATE Help Deskfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|GST Suvidha Providers (GSPs)||Multiple email IDs. Click here to view./|
|GST Seva Kendra (GSK)||email@example.com|
Few of these initiatives include:
- GST Practitioners
- Saksham Seva
- GST Seva Kendras (GSKs)
- CBIC Mitra Help Desk
- GST Suvidha Providers (GSPs)
- Self Service Grievance Redressal Portal of GST
So, following are the phone numbers, email addresses as well as web addresses of these platforms so that you can reach out to them and resolve your GST Related queries.
GSTN Help Desk
This Help Desk is for the taxpayers who face issues on GST Portal.
CBIC Mitra Help Desk
“CBIC Mitra Helpdesk” is a National Call Centre that provides 24/7 services to GST helpdesk in order to meet its requirements. Departmental users, as well as Dealers, can seek the help of the CBIC Mitra Helpdesk in case they face any challenges in using the CBIC-GST Applications. All they need to do is send an email to the Helpdesk or call up at National Toll-Free Number.
ICEGATE Help Desk
This Helpdesk caters to all the queries related to law and procedure under GST and related IT issues. Users can track the status of their complaint/query by quoting the reference number by calling the helpdesk. The caller can escalate the response to the helpdesk manager in case one is not satisfied with a response.
ICEGATE Help Desk
Saksham Seva is a name given to CBIC’s IT Infrastructure Project. This IT Infrastructure project enables implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST) and supports all existing services in Customs. Project Saksham enables setting up of an information exchange mechanism between CBIC and GSTN through the use of pre-agreed API or other secure methods of message exchange. Thus, Saksham Seva helps in resolving the following issues:
- SSO ID/ICEGATE email ID creation and password reset
- Network/hardware related issues
- ICES related issues faced by departmental officers
GST Suvidha Providers (GSPs)
GSTN has onboarded GST Suvidha Providers on the basis of a selection process. This process evaluated the candidates for GSPs based on their financial ability and IT capability. Such a process was undertaken to ensure that the GSPs deliver the necessary services to the taxpayers for becoming GST compliant in the new GST regime. Thus, businesses may avail the services of the GSPs as per their need.
GST Seva Kendras (GSKs)
Multiple CBIC GST Seva Kendras are available locally for taxpayers, to resolve their local issues in the local language(s). The information thereof along with contact details of each Helpdesk is available to the taxpayers on the CBIC portal. These Seva Kendras also accessible via the phone, via email or can be visited in person by a taxpayer.
GST Grievance Redressal Portal
The GST Council has developed a self-service Grievance Redressal Portal to enable the taxpayers as well as the stakeholders to lodge complaints. These complaints pertain to the challenges or issues that the taxpayers might face while working on the GST Portal.
Thus, instead of sending emails to the GST Helpdesk, the taxpayers can explain the issues they faced for quick redressal of the grievances. They can do this by simply describing the issues they faced on the GST Portal and upload screenshots of the pages where they faced a challenge.
Benefits of the GST Grievance Portal
The following are the benefits of this service over other ways of lodging complaints. It:
- Enables users to file complaints and raise tickets themselves
- Ensures speedy redressal of grievances as it provides users with all the necessary information and reduces communication between taxpayers and GST Helpdesk
- Helps users to check the status or progress of the complaint with the help of the ticket number
- Enables users to view comments pertaining to the solution offered
- Provides users with relevant FAQs or User Manual Pages based on the Category and Sub-Category of the concern raised by the users to help them resolve the issue
Procedure To File A Complaint in the Grievance Redressal Portal
- Users are required to enter the keyword pertaining to the challenge or issue faced by them in the “Type of Issue/Concern” box.
- Then, the portal showcases a list of all the possible issues pertaining to the keyword mentioned in the above-mentioned box.
- Following this, users need to select the exact issue faced by them from the list.
- After selecting the issue, the Portal will present FAQs as well as User Manual Pages relevant to the complaint raised by the users.
- Users need to go through the FAQs as well as the relevant User Manual Pages as they would help them in resolving the issue.
- In case the FAQs or the User Manual Pages do not help in resolving the issue, the users need to select the “No, I Want to Lodge My Complaint” button. This will open the page where the Users can fill the details to file a complaint with the GST Helpdesk.
- Once users lodge the complaint, the Portal will generate a ticket number or reference number. This number can be used by the Users to check the status of their complaints.
GST Practitioner For Filing Returns
You may come across times when the GST Helpdesk is unable to resolve your query. In such cases, you can locate and contact a GST Practitioner to help you resolve challenges that you might face while dealing with various aspects of GST Compliance like return filing, claiming refund, etc.
As per section 48 of the CGST Act, a registered person may authorize an eligible person to act as the approved GST practitioner. The approved GST practitioner is a tax professional who is authorized to prepare returns and undertake other activities as per the information furnished to him by the taxable person.
However, the responsibility to file such returns and other information lies with you as a taxpayer.
Thus, a goods and services tax practitioner can perform any of the following activities on your behalf as a registered taxpayer, provided he is authorized to do so.
Functions of GST Practitioner
- Fill out the details of inward and outward supplies while filing tax returns
- Prepare and file monthly, quarterly, annual or final returns
- File a claim for refund
- Make a deposit for credit in electronic cash ledger
- Prepare and file an application for amendment or cancellation of registration
- Generate e-way bill after furnishing information on the portal
- Fill details of challan in GST ITC – 04
- Prepare and file an application for amendment or cancellation of enrollment number under rule 58 of CGST act
- File an application intimating the tax authorities regarding payment of tax under composition scheme or withdrawal from the said scheme
Thus, you can obtain the list of GST Practitioners working in your State or District with the help of Locate GST Practitioner tool available on the GST Portal under Services Tab. There are two ways through which you can locate the GST Practitioner. You can either use the Enrolment Number/GSTP ID of the Practitioner or Name, State, District and Pin Code of the GST Practitioner.