What is GSTR 1?
GSTR 1 is a monthly return of outward supplies. Essentially, it is a return showing all the sales transactions of a business.
Who needs to file the GSTR 1?
Every business registered under GST, will have to file the GSTR 1.
What is the due date for filing GSTR 1?
- GSTR 1 for the month of July 2017 is due on 5th September 2017.
- GSTR 1 for the month of August 2017 is due on 20th September 2017.
- Starting from the month of September 2017, GSTR 1 is required to be filed by the 10th of the next month (i.e., 10th October for the month of September, etc.).
Contents of the GSTR 1 form
- GSTIN of the business.
- Legal name of the business.
- Aggregate turnover in the last financial year.
- Taxable supplies/sales made to registered persons.
- Taxable supplies/sales made to unregistered persons who are outside of the base state and exceeding Rs 2.5 lakhs (i.e., inter-state sales to unregistered persons, for more than Rs 2.5 lakhs).
- Zero rated and deemed export sales.
- Sales made to unregistered persons not covered in section 5 above.
- All sales made through an e-commerce operator.
- Inter-state sales to unregistered persons upto a value of Rs 2.5 lakhs.
- Nil rated, exempt and non-GST supplies – Supplies which are exempt and not covered in the above sections.
- Amendments in taxable sales/supplies made to registered businesses in the previous months.
- Amendments in taxable sales/supplies made to unregistered businesses in the previous months.
- Details of advances received or adjusted during the month, from the customers.
- HSN-wise summary of outward supplies.
- Documents issued during the month (containing the serial numbers of the invoices, credit notes and debit notes, issued during the month).
Where should one file the GSTR 1 return?
GSTR 1 has to be filed on the GST portal (www.gst.gov.in ). The government has provided an offline utility to fill the GSTR 1 return and upload it on the GST portal. It can be downloaded from the following link:
One important point to note, is that the GSTR 1 form once submitted, cannot be revised. You can modify the form by amending details in the next month.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]