QuickBooks Online Accountant includes a new tab and feature named "Documents". The Documents tab is a convenient access point that allows accountants and bookkeepers to streamline their workflow.
Accounting professionals now have an unlimited cloud-based file storage option which can house the entire range of the client engagement. Users can utilise this section to collect, store, and collaborate with firm members on important documents that lead up to the clients’ financial year end.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- Select the client file you wish to work on from the client dashboard.
- Select Prep for Taxes from the Accountant Tools.
- Select the Documents tab.
- Document carry forward is currently unavailable so it is important to select the tax year you wish to work on, as all the documents you attach will be added to the respective tax year.
The Documents tab contains the following sections:
General: this tab allows for full customisation - users can add their own custom folders and associated folder names. Quickly copy your folders from other clients to your current client with no need to recreate folders each time you set up a new client.
Accounts: this tab mimics the chart of accounts and is specifically designed to mirror the accounts you have already created in your clients file. This ensures your documents are always up-to-date.
Note: Folders and files added to the General section are automatically arranged in alphabetical order.
- Select the General tab.
- Select the +Add new folder option.
- Enter a name for the new folder and select Save. The new folder displays in the folder list.
Sub-folders can be added to existing folders to improve organisation of files.
- Select the folder you want to add a sub-folder to.
- Select Create sub folder from the Add drop-down menu.
- Name the sub-folder.
- Select Save.
The new sub-folder displays in the folder.
Document Manager supports several file types:
- Excel (XLS, XLSX)
- DOC (DOC, DOCX)
- PowerPoint (PPT, PPTX)
Each file type is represented by a unique colour in the Document Manager for quick reference. The file capacity is a maximum of 300 MB per file. Larger files cannot be attached.
- Select the folder to attach files to.
- Select Add from the right drop-down menu.
- Select the files to attach and select Open. The file attaches to the folder.
Tip: You can drag-and-drop multiple files directly from your computer to a folder.
You can verify that the document is present by clicking on the Account tab.
If you added the supporting document to the wrong account you can quickly amend it by dragging and dropping the document to the correct folder.
Renaming a File
Users can rename a file after it has been attached to a folder.
- Select the individual file to rename.
- Select Rename from the Download drop-down menu and select Rename.
- Rename the file as required.
- On your keyboard, press Enter to save the new name.
You can download a folder or file from the Documents tab to a different location.
Download a folder
- Select the folder you want to download.
- Select Download Folder from the Add drop-down menu. The folder and any sub-folders contained within it downloads to your computer as a .zip file.
Download a file
- Select the file you want to download.
- Select Download from the Download drop-down menu. The file downloads to your computer.