Learn how to add an account summary to your progress invoices in QuickBooks Online.
If you do projects for customers and bill them using progress invoicing, you can add an account summary to their invoices. This helps them keep up to date on the cost of their projects.
Add the account summary to an invoice
The account summary summarises your customer's info from the last year. It includes:
- Balance Forward: The total amount due and any credit balance from the last invoice.
- Payments and credits: All payments or credits since the last invoice.
- New charges: The total amount of new charges and credits on the current invoice.
- Total amount due: The customer's total balance.
Note: The account summary won't display on an invoice if the transactions that make up the balance forward are more than 1 year old.
To add account summaries to all of your customer invoices:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Custom form styles.
- Find the invoice template you use, then select Edit from the Action dropdown menu. Or select the New style▼ dropdown menu, then select Invoice to create a new custom template.
- Select the Content tab.
- In the form preview, select the Table section.
- Tick the Show on invoice box.
- Select Done.
Note: To remove an account summary from an invoice, tick the Show on invoice box.
Create and send Balance Forward statements
Account summaries only show charges and payments made before you created the invoice. If you want to give your customers their complete transaction history, send them a Balance Forward statement.
- Go to Customers (Take me there).
- Find the customer on the list.
- In the action column, select the Action menu ▼ icon, then Create statement.
- From the Statement Type▼ dropdown menu, select Balance Forward.
- Enter the Statement Date, Start Date, and End Date.
- Select Print or Preview or Save and send.
To add the details for each transaction in the statement:
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and settings.
- Select Sales.
- In the Statements section, select Edit ✎.
- Select List each transaction including all detail lines.
- Select Save, then Done.