Learn how to add quotes to your progressive invoices in QuickBooks Online.
If you do projects for customers and bill them as you go using progress invoicing, you can include a quote summary on their invoices. This keeps your customers in the loop and lets them know how much they’ve spent on their projects.
|Note: This option isn't available yet for the new quote and invoice layout. Find out which layout you have.|
Step 1: Turn on progress invoicing
Step 2: Turn on quote summary
Turn on the quote summary setting on the template you want to use for progress invoicing.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Custom form styles.
- On the template you use for progress invoicing, select Edit.
- Select the Content tab, then select the edit icon on the third section of the form.
- Tick the Quote summary box, then select Done.
Step 3: Add quote summaries to invoices
When the customer approves the quotes you’ve created, you can start to add them to their invoice. The customers can view the summary of the quotes when you send or print their invoice.
- Go to + New, then select Invoice.
- From the Customer dropdown, select the customer you created a quote for.
- From the Add to Invoice section, select Add on the quote you want to add to the invoice.
- Select the option on how much you want to invoice, then select Copy to invoice.
- Select Customise, then select the template you use for progress invoicing.
- Select Save.
Use a different template for your progress invoices
You can set a default template for your regular invoices, then use a different template for your progress invoices. When you create a new invoice, select Customise, then select the template you want to use for progress invoices.
Set your default template
If you mostly send progress invoices, then you can keep using the new default template. But if not, here’s how you can set a different one.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Custom form styles.
- Look for the form template you want to use as the default.
- Select the ▼ dropdown arrow in the Action column, then select Make default.