When configuring your QuickBooks Connector (OneSaas) integration, you’re required to choose or create a shipping product, and also have the option to create a discount product and other special products.
These products are very useful in your integration, as they provide a default product that can be automatically created for line items in your invoices that aren't represented by standard products. We’ll explain this concept to help you understand how easy, simple, and great these products are.
The shipping product
The shipping product is called a product because that is what it'll be treated as in a connected service, like your accounting application. However, it’s much more than just a product.
QuickBooks Connector creates and uses the Shipping product to gather shipping costs from wherever you process your sales (for example, your eCommerce system), then pass this data on in the correct format to your accounting system and other connected services where you want your sales data to end up.
After the Shipping product is configured, no further action will be required by you. QuickBooks Connector uses it to process your shipping costs differently than other line items in your orders and invoices. For example, to apply different taxes and to allocate them to a different income account.
Why do I need to create the Shipping product?
We don’t want to automatically start creating data in your accounting system without you knowing how, or why it ended up there. We let you create it yourself, in QuickBooks Connector. This allows you to stay in control of your data and how you want it to be treated.
What does it look like in an invoice?
In QuickBooks Connector:
In QuickBooks Online:
The discount and other products
The discount and other special products are very similar to the shipping product. They enable QuickBooks Connector to create products, which represent line items in your invoices that aren't standard products. What makes these different from the shipping product is that they’re not mandatory.
How do I configure these special products?
Let's use an integration between BigCommerce and QuickBooks Online as an example. Once you are on the configuration screen, follow these steps:
- Select the When an order is created in BigCommerce, create an Invoice in QuickBooks Online checkbox.
- Select Default Products and Advance Options to set up the shipping, discount, and default gift card products.
- For simplicity, you can leave the Item Code and Item Name fields as they are, or you can change them to suit your business needs. You can also specify a specific income account and tax rate for your shipping fees.
- Once created, you can save your changes and move forward with the rest of the configuration process. Your next step will give you two options:
- If you’d like QuickBooks Connector to create the product for you, you’ll need to configure our integration. Just select the Create New items in QuickBooks checkbox.
- If you don’t want us to create it for you, you’ll need to create the product manually with a matching product code in QuickBooks Online. Once done, QuickBooks Connector should automatically match this for you.