When you add or import a customer, supplier, or employee name into QuickBooks Online that already exists, you may see the following error message: "Something’s not quite right. Another customer, supplier, or employee is already using this name. Please use a different name."
This could also happen if you are importing data from QuickBooks Desktop or turning on payroll after adding employees in QuickBooks Online.
Here is how to fix this error:
Step 1: Find the duplicate supplier, employee, or customer
Search for a duplicate name of the supplier, employee, or customer you’re trying to add in QuickBooks Online.
- Select + New, then select Cheque.
- In the Payee▼ dropdown, enter the name you’re trying to add.
- Duplicate names appear on the list, and you’ll know if they’re added as a supplier, employee, or customer.
Step 2: Update the employee, supplier, or customer info
After finding the duplicate name, you can either change the name or make the profile inactive if it is no longer in use.
- Depending on what you need to edit, do one of the following:
- Find and select the duplicate name and do one of the following:
- Edit the employee, supplier, or customer name. For example, add a middle initial or a  at the end.
- If the profile you’re editing is no longer active or in use, make it inactive.