Managers can submit timesheets on behalf of employees who are enabled to use timesheets on QuickBooks Payroll powered by Employment Hero.
How to turn on the ability to create timesheets for employees
- Select Payroll from the left hand menu
- Select the Payroll Settings tab and then select Timesheets
- Tick the box Managers can create timesheets for all employees that aren't enabled for timesheets.
- Select Save
How to create timesheets for employees
- Select Payroll from the left hand menu
- Select Manage Employees and select Create Timesheets
- Choose an employee from the Select an Employee field
- Select the Week / Fortnightly ending date and whether you want to Show/Hide Timesheets Costs
- Enter in the timesheet for the employee, then select Save
- To clear the timesheet line, click the red x on the right hand side of the line (Note: approved/processed/rejected timesheets are unable to be edited or cleared).
- Only relevant rows need to be filled out. If the employee did not work on particular days, those lines may be left blank.
- If the user has 'Approve Timesheets' permission, the Save button will have an additional option to Save and approve by selecting the arrow to the right of the button.
When entering timesheets for an employee, you can view the costs of the associated timesheets by following these steps:
- From the filter menu, ensure the Show Timesheet Costs option is selected
- Once this option is selected, you will then see a Costs column. You can hover over the costs value for any timesheet to see the cost breakdown
Some additional timesheet details are not able to be entered via the timesheet grid and must be entered via the timesheet editor. These details include:
- Notes for the timesheet
- Additional breaks (if you need more than one)
- Higher classification (if an employee is on an employment agreement and works higher duties for a period of time).
If any of these details are required, the timesheet editor may be opened by clicking the Pencil Icon on the right hand side of the grid. Doing so will open up the timesheet editor where all aspects of the timesheet may be edited.
Once the required changes have been made, select Apply to close the dialogue and return to the timesheet grid.
Selecting the Actions button provides several additional features:
- Add another timesheet line: If the employee works multiple shifts for the one day, this action will enable the user to add another line for a particular day.
- Copy timesheets from last week: This will pre-fill the timesheets for this period with the same timesheets that were entered in the last period. The timesheets may then be modified as required before selecting Save.
- Clear timesheets: This will clear all of the timesheets. Note: Approved/Processed/Rejected timesheets are read-only and may not be cleared.
- Revert changes: This will reload the timesheets for this period, discarding any changes made since the last save.
- Enter hours instead of start/stop times: Normally, start and stop times are required when entering timesheets. These play an important role when using pay conditions (for example paying the employee a higher rate for evening work). If these features are not required, this action will enable the user to enter hours only. For example, instead of entering 9am - 5pm, the user will simply be able to enter 8 hours. Note: this feature must be enabled via Business Settings > Timesheets.
- The fastest method of data entry is to click on a cell and then begin typing. To move to the next cell, either press Tab or Enter or one of the arrow keys.
- Copy and Paste is available. You may fill in one timesheet line, then select it, copy to clipboard and then paste it into another line. You may also copy timesheet(s) from a different period and paste them in
- Drag-down is available. Notice the little square (fill handle) in the corner of the selected cell. You can drag it (drag-down) to repeat the values from the cell.
- For any advanced functions (such as entering additional breaks or notes), click the pencil icon on the right to bring up a timesheet editor
- No changes are saved until you click the Save button.
The following keyboard shortcuts may be used in the timesheet grid.
- Arrow Up ↑ – move to the cell above current active cell (if exists)
- Arrow Down ↓ – move to cell underneath current active cell (if exists)
- Arrow Right → – move to the cell on the right side of the current active cell (if exists)
- Arrow Left ← – move to the cell on the left side of current active cell (if exists)
- Tab – move to the cell on the right side of the current active cell (if exists)
- Tab + Shift – move to the cell on the left side of current active cell (if exists)
- Home – move to the first cell in a row
- End – move to the last cell in a row
- Ctrl + Home – move to the first cell in a column
- Ctrl + End – move to the last cell in a column
- Ctrl + A – select all
- Shift + Arrow Up ↑ – extend selection of the cell above
- Shift + Arrow Down ↓ – extend selection of the cell underneath
- Shift + Arrow Right → – extend selection of the cell on the right
- Shift + Arrow Left ← – extend selection of the cell on the left
- Shift + Home – select all cells in the row to the right including the current cell
- Shift + End – select all cells in the row to the left including the current cell
- Ctrl + Shift + Home – select all cells in the column to the top including the current cell
- Ctrl + Shift + End – select all cells in the column to the bottom including the current cell
- Enter – open/close cell editor
- F2 – open cell editor
- Esc – cancel editing and close cell editor
- Backspace – empty cell
- Delete – empty cell
- Ctrl + C – copy cell's content
- Ctrl + X – cut cell's content
- Ctrl + V – paste cell's content
- Ctrl + Arrow Down ↓ – create another timesheet for the same date as the current line
- Ctrl + Enter - fill all selected cells with edited cell's value
- Ctrl + Z – undo
Content sourced from Employment Hero