Learn how to change the primary admin user in your account.
The primary admin is the main user who has access to every part of the QuickBooks account. This user type has the highest level of permissions. They can manage all users and other admin tasks. By default, the primary admin is the person who set up the account.
If you need to change the primary admin, here’s how to transfer this role to another QuickBooks user.
Note: If you’re a primary admin using QuickBooks Online Simple Start and you don't have a QuickBooks Online Accountant user connected to your company (i.e. you're the only user in your company), contact us to transfer the primary admin.
Assign the new primary admin
You can transfer the primary admin role to an existing QuickBooks user. Or, if the person isn’t a QuickBooks user yet, you can add them as a new user. Then, transfer the primary admin role to them after they’re added.
You must be able to sign in as the primary admin to transfer the primary admin role. If the current primary admin is no longer with the company, you can request to be the primary admin. Here’s how to transfer the role to an existing user.
Note: If you’re an accountant, you must be the primary admin of your firm to change the primary admin role in a client’s account.
Change primary admin
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online as the current primary admin. If you can’t sign in, you can recover your user ID or password.
- Select Settings ⚙.
- Select Manage users.
- Find the user you want to make the primary admin.
- In the Role column, make sure they are listed as Admin. If they’re not, select Edit to change their role to admin.
- Select the ellipsis icon in the Action section. Then, select Change primary admin.
- Select Change primary admin again to confirm the change.
- Sign out of QuickBooks.
When the user gets the invitation email, ask them to select the link and accept the invitation to be the primary admin.