Depending on where the memo was originally entered, it may or may not print. Here we show you exactly where and when it will print and won't print, and how to update certain transactions to make it print.
When will a memo print and appear?
The Memo field will appear and print in the following screens:
- Create Invoice: Appears only on customer statements.
- Enter Sales Receipt: Appears only on customer statements.
- Enter Adjustment Note: Appears only on customer statements.
- Enter Refund Receipt: Appears on both the cheque and customer statement.
- Pay One Supplier (Bill Payments): Appears on printed bill payment cheques.
- Write Cheques: Appears on printed cheques.
The Memo field won't appear in the following screens:
- Enter Charges: Does not appear on customer invoices
- Enter Bills: Does not appear on printed bill payments. Alternate option — Use the reference number field. You can put up to 21 characters in it.
- Enter Supplier Credits: Does not appear on printed bill payments. Alternate option — Use the reference number field. You can put up to 21 characters in it.
- Enter Credit Card Charges: Never appears on printed cheques or customer invoices.
How to print a memo on a bill payment
For transactions such as bill payments that may not print the memo, you can manually enter the memo from the bill.
First open the bill:
- Go to Bookkeeping, select Transactions, then select Expenses (Take me there).
- Open the bill that has the memo you want to appear on printed bill payment check.
- Jot down the memo or copy it (to paste later on bill payment).
- Select Save and Close.
Then you pay the bill and print the payment check:
- Select the Create icon ⨁.
- Under Suppliers select Pay Bills.
- Select the bill you copied the memo from.
- Enter the correct amount then select Save and print.
- In the Print Checks screen, select the Bill Payment (Check).
- In the Bill Payment screen, go to the Memo field and enter or paste the memo.
- Verify you have the correct Starting check #.
- Select Preview and Print then Print.