Learn how to use and manage mileage tracking in the QuickBooks Self-Employed mobile app.
If you travel for work and plan to write-off your trips, use the QuickBooks Self-Employed app to automatically track your mileage. All you have to do is turn on the app and let QuickBooks take care of the rest.
Step 1: Turn on the app
- If you haven't already, make sure you enable location services on your mobile device. Here are the steps for Apple (iPhone and iPad) and Android devices.
- In your QuickBooks Self-Employed mobile app, tap Mileage on the menu.
- Select the Auto-tracking switch to turn it ON.
Step 2: Take a trip
Once you turn on mileage tracking, QuickBooks automatically detects and tracks your trips from start to finish.
Step 3: Review your trips
When you’ve reached your destination, review your trip and mark it as business or personal.
- In your QuickBooks Self-Employed app, tap Mileage on the menu.
- Just like your transactions, swipe to categorise your transactions.
- To categorise a trip as business, swipe left.
- To categorise a trip as personal, swipe right.
- For business trips, add a business purpose. You can also tag a vehicle, but this is optional.
- When you’re done, select Save.
QuickBooks moves your reviewed trips to the Reviewed tab.
Edit a trip
If you need to edit a trip:
- Tap Mileage on the menu and then select the Reviewed tab.
- Find and open the trip.
- Select Edit.
- Make your changes and then select Save.
To delete a trip, open it to edit it. Then select the Trash can icon (Android) or Delete Trip (iPhone).
Add a trip manually
You can add trips manually if you forgot your device on a recent trip.
- Tap Mileage.
- Tap the Plus icon to create a new entry.
- Enter the trip details. When you're done, select Save.
Next steps: Adjust your location settings
QuickBooks Self-Employed makes it easy to adjust your device's location settings from within the app. Ensure your settings are always enabled so the app accurately tracks your mileage.
To open your location settings:
- For Android devices, tap Mileage and then the Gear ⚙ icon.
- For Apple devices, tap Mileage and then Auto-tracking. Then tap Check Mileage Setting.
Turn off automatic mileage tracking
- In your QuickBooks Self-Employed mobile app, tap Mileage.
- Select the Auto-tracking switch to turn it OFF.