Learn how to set up vehicles and mileage tracking in QuickBooks Online and the QuickBooks Online mobile app.
Use the QuickBooks Online mobile app to track business mileage for your vehicles. Keep track of your trips and vehicle info during the year so you have everything you need to make deductions at tax time.
If you're already set up, follow these steps to automatically track your mileage.
Add a vehicle to QuickBooks
You can add as many vehicles as you need. Follow the steps for your web browser or mobile experience.
Allow location access on your mobile device
For auto-tracking to work, allow location access for QuickBooks on your mobile device. Follow these steps depending on the mobile device you use:
Turn on mileage tracking
Turn on automatic mileage tracking in the QuickBooks Online mobile app. These steps work for both iOS and Android mobile devices.
- Add your vehicle info before you start tracking your mileage.
- Currently, only admin users can track mileage in QuickBooks Online. Here’s how to change user permissions so your driver can track their mileage.
- Go to Menu ☰, then tap Mileage.
- Tap Auto-tracking.
- Tap the switch to turn on Auto-tracking.
Manage your vehicles
You can add as many vehicles as you need. Tip: Add your vehicle info before you start tracking your mileage.
Track business miles
Now that you’re all set up, check out how you can track trips with the QuickBooks Online mobile app.
Add and edit favourite locations
You can create and manage a list of your favourite locations. These will auto-populate when it comes time to review your trips.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- Go to Expenses then select Mileage (Take me there), or go to Mileage (Take me there).
- In the Add trip dropdown ▼, select Manage favourite locations.
- Select Add favourite location, or choose an existing location to edit.
- Enter an address in the Address field. QuickBooks may auto-suggest the location as you type.
- Enter a Name for this location.
- Select Save when finished.