Learn how to update your QuickBooks license and product info.
Change the license number only
QuickBooks Desktop for Windows:
- From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Manage My License, then select Change My License Number.
- Enter the new license number, then select Next and Finish.
Change your QuickBooks product code (Windows users only):
Sometimes when you upgrade, you’ll have to change your product number.
QuickBooks Pro/Premier users:
- Uninstall QuickBooks.
- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop with your new license and/or product code.
- Activate QuickBooks.
We recommend you uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks on each workstation with the new product code.
We know this can be a long and lengthy process. If you'd like to save some time, you can edit your qbregistration.dat file. This file has product info for all QuickBooks software you install. When you edit this file incorrectly, you can break QuickBooks functionality.
We recommend you run these steps under the guidance of an IT professional.
Step 1: Open your qbregistation.dat file through QuickBooks
- Open QuickBooks.
- To open the Tech Help window, press F2 (or Ctrl+1) and then F3 (or Ctrl+2) on your keyboard.
- On the Open File tab, select QBREGISTRATION.DAT and then select Open File. The file will open in Notepad.
- Create a backup of the qbregistration.dat file. Quickbooks won't open right if there are any typos in the file. This step is extremely important.
- From the Notepad File menu, select Save As.
- In the Save as window, select Desktop and then select Save.
- Close the file.
- Reopen the file from the Tech Help window (Step 1: 2 and 3).
- Close QuickBooks, but keep the qbregistation.dat file open in Notepad.
Step 2: Edit your qbregistration.dat file
- In the qbregistration.dat file, select Edit and Replace or Ctrl +H.
- Type in your old product number and replace it with your new one. Use the format XXX-XXX when you enter the product number.
- Select Replace All.
- Select File and then Save and close the file.
- Open QuickBooks.
- Press F2 to display the Product Information window. Check the Product number field. Verify the change.
If there is no change to the product code, restart your computer.
If the product code doesn't change after a reboot, uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks using the correct license number and product code.