Learn how to use the Custom transaction numbers feature to set your own numbering preference. This feature is activated by default. If you would rather QuickBooks automatically assign numbers to your sales forms, you can turn off this feature.
Set your own numbering preference
Use the Custom transaction numbers feature to set your own numbering preference. This adds an Invoice no. field where you can enter any number or letter format you want.
- Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then Account and Settings.
- Select Sales, then select anywhere within the Sales form content section.
- Turn on Custom transaction numbers.
- Select Save and then Done.
- Open an invoice or any sales form, and in the Invoice no. field, enter the custom number or letter sequence you want to use for your forms. The sequence you set here applies to all sales forms.
Note: Once you have set up your custom invoice numbering, turn off the Custom transaction numbers feature. This will help prevent accidental changes to your numbering. Turning this feature off only means the Invoice no. field is hidden from your sales form. Invoice numbers are still printed for your customers.