Learn how to download QuickBooks Desktop.
Are you ready to download QuickBooks Desktop? The following sections provide the download links you need to get started and answer some frequently asked questions.
Download QuickBooks Desktop
First, download the appropriate installation file for your product.
To begin your installation, go to the Downloads & Updates page to get the download link for the version of QuickBooks you purchased.
To download the installation file:
- From the Downloads & Updates page, select your country, product, and version.
If you don't know what version you use, see Not sure what version you use?
- Select Download.
If you already have QuickBooks Desktop and want to upgrade your product to a newer version, see Upgrade to a New Desktop version.
Questions about downloading
When you install QuickBooks, you'll need to enter your license and product number.
Don't know them yet?
To find your license and product number:
- If you subscribe to a monthly or annual product subscription: You should have received an email with your QuickBooks Desktop license number and product code. If you haven't received this email, check your junk mail folder.
- If you bought QuickBooks from our website and downloaded it: The license number and product code are in the confirmation email you received.
- If you bought QuickBooks Desktop from a retail outlet: The license number and product code are located in the inside panel of the folder where the CD is located.
Haven’t purchased QuickBooks yet? Visit our product page.
For info about updating your QuickBooks Desktop version, see Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
QuickBooks Desktop versions from too long ago aren't available for download. Because we can't ensure that older software will still run on modern systems, we don't support or offer downloads for those products.
Activate QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
- With QuickBooks Desktop open, press the F2 key.
- In the Product Information window, verify the registration status next to the License number.
If the status is Activated, you're all set!
- If the status is Not Activated, select OK to close the Product Information window, then, from the Help menu, select Activate QuickBooks.
In line with Intuit's discontinuation plan for older products, discontinued products cannot be registered for the first time. You can re-register discontinued products if they have been registered before and are being reinstalled.
You can contact us to get the validation code, but assisted support for discontinued products is no longer available.