Learn how to receive inventory with or without a bill in QuickBooks Desktop.
You can receive inventory with or without a bill after you record a purchase order. Recording the inventory received and the corresponding bill, if given, updates the quantity on hand for each item and the payable to the supplier.
Receive inventory with a bill
If you received the items and the corresponding bills for them, here's what to do.
- Go to Receive Inventory dropdown, then select Receive Inventory with Bill.
- On the Enter Bills window that appears:
- From the Supplier dropdown, select the supplier.
- Select Yes to receive a purchase order for the bill.
- Choose the correct PO, then select OK.
- Review the information on the Bill. Note that except for the Memo field, any fields that were filled in on the PO are carried over to the Bill.
- Select Save & Close.
- When you're ready to pay the bill, proceed to Pay Bills.
Receive inventory without a bill
Use this option if you received the items but the supplier did not provide the bill yet. This will create an Item Receipt which increases your inventory asset account and accounts payable.
|Receiving inventory is part of your usual A/P workflow in QuickBooks Desktop. To see the complete list of workflows and other supplier-related transactions, refer to Accounts Payable workflows in QuickBooks Desktop|