Learn how to migrate your Sync with Square app to the Connect to Square app in QuickBooks Online.
With the QuickBooks Online and Square integration, you can automatically import your sales transactions to QuickBooks. We’ve been investing resources to improve your experience with this integration. As a result, we’ve discontinued support for the Sync with Square app, and are migrating to the Connect to Square app.
We’ll go over some key differences between the two apps, and how the migration process works.
Disconnect Sync with Square
You will need to disconnect Sync with Square from your QuickBooks Online account.
- Go to Apps and select My apps.
- Find Sync with Square card.
- From the dropdown, select Disconnect
- Refresh the page to ensure that app has disconnected. Sync with Square should no longer appear.
You may be prompted to migrate to the Connect to Square app in several ways, such as in-product messaging, bell notification reminders, or emails sent from QuickBooks. This will connect you to Connect to Square. To avoid data duplication, please disconnect from the legacy Sync with Square first.
Connect the Connect with Square app
- Search for Connect to Square from the Find apps tab under Apps or in the Connect account in the Bank transactions (Take me there) tab. Once you’ve found the correct app, select Get started.
- You’ll need to grant permission for QuickBooks and Square to share product details. Select Give permission.
- In the new tab that opens, enter your Square account login credentials, then select Sign in.
- Select the Square locations you want to sync with QuickBooks. Then, use the dropdown menu to select the bank account where you want to deposit that location’s sales. Select Next.
- For each of the selected Square locations, choose whether you want the app to import sales individually, or as a summary of your daily sales. Select Next.
- Use the dropdown menu to select a starting date for the transactions you want to bring in. The date of your last data sync is automatically selected.
- Select Finish.
There are some differences between the Sync with Square app and the Connect to Square app. Here are some of the key changes to keep in mind:
- With Sync with Square, invoices were created in QuickBooks with matching payments. With Connect to Square, sales receipts and matching deposits are created instead.
- Data brought in through Connect to Square can be reviewed before it’s added to the books by going to select Transactions and select App transactions (Take me there). If needed, you can Undo added transactions in the Reviewed tab.
- Fees, sales tax, tips and shipping costs are now automatically mapped to the correct account in your chart of accounts and can all be changed in the App settings.
- The Connect to Square app automatically imports customer and item details. You can add these details in the For Review tab. Once a customer or item is added, QuickBooks remembers this information for all future transactions.
For more details, see how to use the Connect to Square app.