Learn how to turn on and use QuickBooks Messenger.
QuickBooks Messenger is available when you’re using QuickBooks Desktop in multi-user mode. It lets you chat with other company users right inside your QuickBooks. It also allows you to log off other users when you need to switch to single-user mode.
Turn on QuickBooks Messenger
In multi-user mode, you will notice the QuickBooks Messenger icon in your system tray, at the bottom-right of your screen. The messenger automatically starts whenever you are logged in. Double-click the icon to launch the tool.
Chatting with other users
- When you get notified that a user has logged in to the company file, you can select Chat on the notification window to begin a conversation with that user. You can also right-click on the QuickBooks Messenger icon in your system tray, then select Chat to start a conversation.
- If you're an Admin, you can chat with other users logged into the company file by selecting Send Message to Logged In Users from the Actions drop-down.
Note: It's not possible for the Admin to view a log of conversations between users at this time.
If you want to show your status (busy, away, or otherwise) to other QuickBooks users, you can change your available status. From the drop-down that displays your username, select the status that applies to you.
Log off or close company file for another user
Only the Admin can log a user off from a QuickBooks company file.
- Launch QuickBooks Messenger (Company menu > Chat with a Coworker).
- From the Actions drop-down, select Close Company File for Users.
- Select the user whose QuickBooks you want to close.
- Select Close Company File.
- In the Confirmation window, select Yes.
Disable QuickBooks Messenger
- Sign in as Admin while in multi-user mode.
- Go to File > Utilities.
- Select Disable QuickBooks Messenger.
- Log out of the company file and then log back in for the change to take effect.