There are two ways to link spousal returns in Pro Tax, depending on if you are creating new returns or linking existing returns.
Creating new spousal returns
- Open QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- Click the Pro Tax tab.
- Select Create new return.
- Select the desired tax year and client.
- Click Link a spouse.
- Select the spouse (in the drop-down menu, click Add new if the spouse is is not on the list).
- Enter the marital status.
- Enter a name for the return.
- Click Continue.
Linking existing returns
- If you have already created the files for each spouse, Pro Tax can also link existing returns.
- Open the tax return for one of the spouses.
- Click the “plus” icon (+) next to the client name.
- Select a client and select the return that has already been created.
- Click Link Return.
Note: if a return has not been created for the spouse, click Add a new return.