Troubleshoot Adobe Reader if QuickBooks Desktop crashes with an Unrecoverable Error when opening a PDF file, or when reconciling using an older version of Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Note that the error codes may vary.
Errors usually occur if Adobe Reader 10.0, 9.0, or 8.0 is installed and the preference for Display PDF in Browser is selected.
Adobe 11.0 (XI) and later versions no longer have the option to display PDF in browser and display them outside of the browser by default, which resolves the issue.
Important: If you have Adobe Acrobat 10.0, 9.0, or 8.0, you will have to purchase a new version, as Adobe Acrobat is a paid program (unlike Adobe Reader, which is free). Follow the steps in Solution 2 if you do not wish to upgrade your version of Adobe Acrobat.
Solution 1: Update Adobe Reader to the latest version
- Inside Adobe Reader, choose Help, then select About Adobe Reader.
- If you see versions 8.0, 9.0, or 10.0, you will need to update to 11.0 by downloading the Adobe Reader 11.0 from Adobe's site.
- Follow the instructions to install Adobe Reader 11.0 and reboot the computer when finished updating. Try to view your previous bank reconciliation report again.
Solution 2: Change the Display PDF in Browser preference (Adobe 10.0, 9.0, 8.0 only)
- From the Windows Start menu, select Programs/All Programs to see a list of installed programs.
- Choose Adobe Reader/Acrobat.
Note: Adobe XI (11.0) and later no longer displays a PDF in the browser by default, so if you are on an older release, updating will resolve the issue.
- Choose Edit, then select Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, from the Categories list, select Internet.
- Click to clear the Display PDF in Browser preference in the Web Browser Options section.
- Select OK.
Unrecoverable Error when you select a transaction for reconciliation
Choose one of the following solutions if a damaged Primary Name List and/or Chart of Accounts gives you Unrecoverable error: xxxxx xxxxx when you attempt to reconcile your transactions: