Learn how to create and assign employee classes.
QuickBooks online doesn't let you submit payroll unless your employees are assigned to a class. It's also a best practice for helping organize your business. In this article, we'll walk you through the steps to do this.
Create a class
The first step is to create a class.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select All lists.
- Under Lists select Classes.
- Select New.
- Enter Class name, check off the Is sub-class box (if applicable), then select Save.
Assign a class to an employee
The next step is to assign that class to an employee. Each employee must be assigned a class, otherwise you won't be able to run payroll.
- Select the Settings ⚙️ icon, then Payroll settings.
- Select the pencil icon for Accounting. The Accounting Preferences window opens.
- Select the pencil icon beside Class Tracking.
- If you use the same class for all employees, assign a class to all employees from the drop-down. If you use different classes assign a class to each employee from the drop-down.
- Select Save and then Done.