Occasionally, the option to check for updates is not available from the Online menu in the top toolbar:
|If ProFile was installed via the workstation install feature, the option to check for updates is removed from the Online menu because the update is done on the server, which then pushes the updates out to the workstations.||This is expected behaviour, no resolution.|
|If the user is not signed in as the computer administrator, the option to check for updates will not display.||Right-click on the ProFile desktop shortcut icon and select the Run as administrator option.|
|ProFile’s online services may be disabled, which includes the check for updates option.||1. Select the Environment option under the Options menu in the top toolbar.
2. Select the System tab from the Environment Options window:
3. Ensure the Disable Online Features checkbox is toggled to active.
4. Click the OK button and close the Environment Options window.
5. Select the Environment... option under the Options menu in the top toolbar.
6. Select the System tab from the Environment Options window:
7. Ensure the Disable Online Features checkbox is unchecked.
8. Click the OK button and close the Environment Options window.
“Autoupdate failed to initiate” error
To resolve this error:
- Exit ProFile.
- Navigate to the folder C:\ProgramData\Intuit\AutoUpdateClient. If you don't see the folder Program Data in the C: drive, select the View tab in the File Explorer tab bar and activate the Hidden items checkbox.
- Rename the Autoupdate Client folder to AutoUpdateClient-old.
- Open ProFile and attempt the update again.
If the error persists, review this article for instructions on creating exceptions in the Windows firewall.
Some safe applications, including ProFile, may be mistaken as threats during a system or on-access scan. If ProFile displays in the security scan results, exclude it from anti-virus scans by adding it to the exceptions list of your anti-virus software. Consult your software provider if you do not know how to do this.
If the autoupdate does not initiate a software update, this is likely caused by the file ProfileUpdate.exe being quarantined by the antivirus software. Repair ProFile by downloading a new GPSetup installer file from this site and install it over top of the current version of ProFile. This will not erase any of your data or settings.