QuickBooks Online Accountant Pro Tax users now have the option to carry forward T2 TaxCycle returns. In a few easy steps, users can import data, map clients, and begin returns in Pro Tax.
Before you begin…
Note that users can carry forward up to seven returns per session.
Ensure the following before carrying forward any returns:
- the tax year-end is on or after December 31, 2016
- include the client’s name and email prior to upload
- remove all passwords from the return prior to upload
Carry forward returns
1. Login to the QuickBooks Online Accountant company.
2. Select the Pro Tax option from the left-side menu.
3. Click the Carry forward returns button:
The Carryforward returns window displays:
4. Click the Browse for returns button; the Explorer window displays:
5. Navigate to the folder containing the returns to carry forward and click the OK button.
Alternatively, open TaxCycle and drag-and-drop any returns to carry forward into the Carryforward returns window in QuickBooks.
A list of returns populates after making the selections, as well as an approximate time to upload and process them:
6. Click the Upload returns button. The upload process begins:
Each return displays a green bar that indicates the progress of the individual upload. Upload times vary depending on individual file size.
Note: cancel uploads at any time using the Cancel upload button.
Users can continue to work while files upload. Click the Minimize window button; the upload progress displays while working on other tasks:
Using Pro Tax auto match
The Pro Tax “matching screen” displays when uploads are complete.
Pro Tax will automatically match the returns:
Review the matches and save if the matches are accurate.
Using Pro Tax manual match
Alternatively, users may choose to “manually match” the returns when uploads are complete.
Select the client name associated with the filed return:
Save the manually matched returns if accurate.
Adding a new client
It is necessary to add a client if they are not already in QuickBooks.
Select the Add New option. Provide the client name and email when prompted:
The return is created in Pro Tax.
Users can minimize the carry forward screen and work on other tasks by clicking the Minimize window button on the Carryforward returns screen:
A congratulatory screen displays when the returns have completed carry forward and are ready to use:
Users that have not subscribed to Pro Tax or entered billing details may encounter the following notification:
Click the Subscribe to Pro Tax link and follow the sign-up prompts to subscribe.