Learn how to set up your team’s permissions so they can track billable time to clients.
As a ProAdvisor, your team can track their time for projects, billable time, or any other work directly in QuickBooks Online Accountant. We’ll show you how to add your team members as employees or suppliers, give them the right permissions, and track their time.
Step 1: Add your team to QuickBooks
First, add your accounting team to QuickBooks Online Accountant. If you're adding a full-time employee, add them as an employee.
Step 2: Add team member and check permissions
After you set up your team as employees or suppliers, you can create timesheets and track their hours for them.
But, if you want them to be able to track their own time, add them to your team list. This gives them permissions so they can enter timesheets for themselves.
To see who already has permission on your team:
- Go to the Team menu.
- Select the team member you want to give access to. Then select Edit.
- Select the Firm Administration and Books tab.
- Change the Firm users permission to View only.
- For Customers and accounts receivable and Suppliers and accounts payable, select Yes.
- Select Save.
Step 3: Track time
Now that everything is set up, your team can track their time. Follow these steps each time you need to track time for yourself or an employee:
- Select +New.
- Under Employees, select Single time activity to enter one timesheet, or select Weekly timesheet to enter multiple timesheets.
- Select the supplier or employee in the Name drop-down. Note: Selecting Add new in the drop-down will create a new employee or supplier profile.
- Choose a Customer from the drop-down list.
- Select the Billable option.
- Enter Description (optional).
- Enter hours in the Time field. Note: In the Weekly Timesheet, enter hours for each day of the week.
- Select Save and close.