Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Created with Sketch. Need to update your account details or payment information for QuickBooks Desktop? Click here for our step-by-step guide.
Created with Sketch. Need help running payroll? Watch our video or read the guide in our Product Tutorial.
Created with Sketch. Learn how to create and match bank rules in our video guide.

How do I un-file a sales tax return?

Accountants and bookkeepers can easily un-file a sales tax return in QuickBooks Online Accountant Sales Tax Centre. This exclusive feature offers flexibility and control in managing client's books.

How to un-file a sales tax return

  1. From the left menu, select Taxes.
  2. Select Sales Tax.
  3. Select the Returns tab.
  4. Locate the sales tax filing that you'd like to un-file.
  5. Under the Action column, open the drop down menu to view options.
  6. Select Undo filing.
  7. A window will appear asking Are you sure you want to go back? Review the information displayed and click Undo filing.
  8. A notification will appear next to your open filing, highlighting the date that the return was reopened.
  • You will only be able to un-file the most recent sales tax filing. To un-file a historic filing, you'll need to un-file in reverse date order to reach the desired filing.
  • You could receive an error message if you try to un-file after closing the books. In this case, you'll need to temporarily re-open the books in order to un-file.


FAQs on un-filing a sales tax return

Here are the commonly asked questions about un-filing a sales tax return.

Your exceptions will become regular transactions for the un-filed period.

Your return and related transactions will now be listed under 'open returns.' There will be a record of the previous filing under the 'filed returns' area, with a status of 'reopened'.

Your payments for the un-filed period won't be affected — they will be re-applied to the period once the return is filed again. Payments for future periods or installments will also be applied to the un-filed period once it's re-filed. If you don't want installments or payments to be applied once it's refiled, you can delete or edit those payments to be applied to another period.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post